Sunday, November 21, 2010

Addie's Broken Arm

I had just gotten out of the shower on Saturday when Parker ran in saying Addie was hurt.  I'm shocked I didn't say I'd be right down after I got dressed because someone's always getting hurt around here and it's usually no big deal.  But thank goodness I went straight down.  As I rounded the corner I could hear her crying and then she stepped around the corner and I saw her arm!  I was freaked out because it was obviously broken.  I started screaming for Parker to call Scott (who was playing flag football so he didn't have his phone on him) and I scooped Addie up and took her up to my bed and quickly put some clothes on and got everyone in the car and headed for the hospital!  I was so upset driving to the hospital because her arm was so contorted I thought she had to be in a lot of pain and this was a serious break.

Thank goodness Scott was playing at a park right by one of my friend's house so I called them and they ran over to tell him to meet me at the hospital.  He was able to get there about 15 mins after we did.

She was screaming pretty had on the way to the hospital but as soon as we got there and she got right into a bed, she calmed down.  She got morphine probably with in 20 mins. of us getting there and they she was fine.  Scott McMahan and BJ Stanley were able to come over and help Scott give Addie a blessing.  I'm so thankful for these great guys!

Unfortunately, the Children's Liberty Campus doesn't have an ortho doc so after x-rays they sent us downtown to Children's.  We waited 2 hrs. before the took us back.  When I saw the x-ray, the radius and ulna were broken (obviously) and it looked like instead of going straight the broken part was at a 45 degree angle.  They said her arm was kind-of like a small green tree branch that you'd break, part was still together and the other was splayed out.  They put her under conscience sedation so they had to have multiple doctors in the room so it took a while to get them all to be able to be there at the same time.  I was trying really hard to not be frustrated it was taking so long and just be thankful that we live in a time where medicine is so amazing.  They were able to set her arm and they expect it to heal completely. Addie was a trooper.  When she got to eat her popsicles (they needed to make sure she could keep something down after her sedation it had been 12 hrs. since she last ate and by the time we checked out of the hospital, it had been 11 hrs. since we first checked in at Liberty.  It was a long day!  I'm so amazed at how well kids deal with pain!




This is what her hair looked like after two nights and all day in a hospital bed and no brushing!



And I forgot to mention how she broke it.  Apparently, she was sitting on the top of the couch and she and Owen were arguing and he kicked her off and over the back of the couch.  It's pretty amazing they we don't have more broken arms around here!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Amy!!! I cannot believe that she fell down so hard. I totally agree, it's amazing that bones don't break more often with all three kids jumping around. That sounded like a pretty complicated break....
    When Katya broke her arm right before we moved to Japan, she didn't have to be sedated at all, much easier than this. Hope she gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And someday, I will spell your name right:) Aimee:)

    ReplyDelete