Friday, August 27, 2010

The Garden of Eden

I have my first real garden this year.  In the past, I've done a few tomatoes and herbs but not much else.  When Scott and I went to Europe and my parents came to watch the kids, my dad planted a garden for us.  I LOVE IT!  I told Scott that gardens are the best when you don't plant them (thanks Dad), pay for them (thanks Dad), or water them (thanks sprinklers).  It is so fun to go out and check each day what has grown literally overnight.  Owen especially loves it.  He's always running in yelling "Mom, come look what I found in the garden!"  Addie is very good at harvesting green tomatoes too!

The garden contains a roma tomato, grape tomato, an heirloom yellow tomato (which unfortunately had to be removed because it was HUGE and taking over everything), a couple of cucumbers, a banana pepper, three jalapenos plants, a red pepper plant, basil, sage, rosemary, thai basil and flat leaf parsley.  It really helped us eat our veggies too.  We had cucumbers and tomatoes every day!  I love it!  I've also made lots of delicious pesto (I even froze a bunch for later), roasted tomato basil soup, and lots of other yummy stuff using my garden goodies.  I'm planning on making jalapeno jelly too - we'll see if that actually happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment